How Customers Update Their Billing Address
When a Scheduled Order fails to process due to their payment being declined for an Address or AVS issue, the customer will need to update the billing address for their payment method.
It is important to note that while customers can update their billing address in My Account > Addresses, this update alone does not change the billing address that is applied to their existing saved payment method(s).
Important: Billing Addresses for Saved Payment Methods
Updating a billing address in My Account will not automatically update a customer's existing saved payment method(s). WooCommerce only enables customers to apply a new billing address to a payment method saved after updating their billing address.
This means that if a customer's payment fails due to a billing address (or AVS) issue, then they will need to first update their billing address in My Account, and then add a new saved payment method before applying the new payment method to their Scheduled Order(s).
What Happens When A Customer Updates their Billing Address in My Account?
When a customer updates their billing address in My Account > Addresses, the new billing address will update the customer's default billing address. This new default billing address will be used for new orders created at checkout, for newly created Scheduled Orders, and also apply to any newly added saved payment methods.
How Customers Can Update the Billing Address for their Saved Payment Method and Scheduled Order
The following steps explain and illustrate how a customer can update their billing address in My Account > Addresses, add a new saved payment method, and then apply their new payment method to their Scheduled Order(s).
Step 1: Update Your Billing Address in My Account
- Your customer can update their billing address in My Account > Addresses.
- Once the changes are made, make sure to select "Save Address" to save the changes.
- To update existing payment methods with the new billing address see step 2 below.
Step 2: Add A New Saved Payment Method (That Will Use Your Updated Billing Address)
- In order to apply the billing address to saved payment methods (and therefore Scheduled Orders), a new payment method must be added.
- The old payment method (with the old billing address) should be deleted from My Account > Payment Methods.
- A new payment method can then be created (even if it's the same card information). This new payment method will use the billing address saved in step 1.
Step 3: Update Your Scheduled Order to Use Your New Payment Method
- Once added, there will be an option to apply this payment method to existing Scheduled Orders. A customer should select this option to update Scheduled Orders and the saved payment methods used for them.
Learn more about: How Customers Manage Payment Methods