1. Before you install the plugin
Upgrading from WC Autoship to Autoship Cloud?
Please see our Upgrade Guide here.
Always install and test on a staging site first:
You should always test changes to your WooCommerce site before publishing them on your live (production) website and this includes adding Autoship Cloud.
Throughout this guide, you will follow step-by-step instructions to help you install, integrate, test and activate Autoship Cloud on a staging site.
If you'd like to learn more about why WooCommerce recommends using staging sites as a critical step in maupdating your WooCommerce store, please visit the following WooCommerce Doc: "How to Update Your Site".
Best practice checklist to ensure a successful Autoship Cloud launch!
- You should be able to create a hosted staging or test site with your Wordpress host that is a duplicate (or very close copy) of your live online store.
Note: if you haven't launched your online store yet, then this is not as important, but you should still be able to create a staging site.
- Your Cart and Checkout should be fully working prior to activating Autoship Cloud.
- Autoship Cloud does not change the process of your cart and checkout, but does add minor settings and optional templates to help ensure a good customer experience.
- Ensuring that your Cart and Checkout are already functioning helps to eliminate potential issues with Autoship Cloud.
- Your site should be accessible in the following ways:
- No access or password limitations to visit your site (no htaccess or password limitations in place that would limit access to your site)
- No limitations on file upload permissions (you should be able to add new plugins to your Wordpress site)
- Administrators should be able to create API Keys via WooCommerce Settings
- Autoship Cloud works by integrating directly with the WooCommerce API
- If you experience any issues with your API currently, you'll want to resolve them before trying to launch Autoship Cloud. Please see our troubleshooting guide here for Troubleshooting the WooCommerce API
Next: Create a Staging Site to install test the Plugin
- Create a staging site, either via cloning a live site, or through a fresh install of WordPress with WooCommerce.
- Ensure that your staging site is a functioning WooCommerce store with products:
- Your staging site should already have WooCommerce installed
- As a customer, you should already be able to add simple and/or variable products to the cart on your staging site
- As a customer, you should be able to complete a regular checkout on your staging site before adding Autoship