Required for this integration:
- Valid SSL installed for your site
- Square account
- Square for WooCommerce plugin: download and view documentation here.
Supported Plugin Features
- Tokenization - This gateway tokenizes payment methods in a way that allows Autoship Cloud's hosted service, QPilot to create and pay for recurring orders automatically. In Square, this can be found in the merchant dashboard.
Setting up Square for WooCommerce
If you're setting up the Square for WooCommerce for the first time, you can find detailed documentation from WooCommerce here.
Once you have installed and activated the Square for WooCommerce plugin, you will need to connect your WooCommerce store to Square, before you can use Square to process payments with Autoship Cloud.
To do this, navigate (in your WP Admin) to WooCommerce > Settings > Payments > Square (either at the top of the page where all the plugins are listed as text, or at the bottom where the enabled/disabled gateways are displayed).
Once there, you will need to ensure that tokenization is enabled by choosing the setting "Allow customers to securely save their payment details for future checkout," then selecting "Save changes".
After that, you will need to link your Square App to your WooCommerce store by going to the new tab created in WP-Admin > WooCommerce > Settings and selecting your business location from your Square developer account.
This can be found on your Square developer account under the "Locations" menu.
Once your business name has been selected, click "Save changes", and complete a checkout from your store to ensure that your WooCommerce checkout is working as expected.
NOTE: Currently the Square for WooCommerce plugin does not have the ability to use Sandbox / Test mode. To avoid confusion, please ensure that you disable “Test Mode” in WP-Admin > Autoship Cloud > Payment Integration settings for Square.After completing an order you will be able to see the Customer and Transaction in your Square Merchant Account.
Setting up Square Payments with Autoship Cloud
Once you have ensured that your Square account can successfully process and save payments with WooCommerce Checkout, you'll need to add Square as payment integration for Autoship Cloud.
First, you need to ensure you have an app setup in your Square developer account. To navigate to the developer account from your Square dashboard, select apps > my apps then select the "Go to Developer Dashboard" button.
From there, select "New Application" and name you application. You will be able to then access your Personal Access Token and Location Id. Remember to toggle the environment at the bottom-left to "Production Settings".
You now have the token and id you need to set up your Square integration with QPilot. Navigate to WP-Admin > Autoship Cloud > Payment Integrations.
Once there, select the blue circle (with the "+" icon) to create a new payment integration.
You should see the following screen:
Select "Square" and enter from your Square developer account "Personal Access Token" (from Square "Credentials" menu) and "Location Id" (from Square "Locations" menu).
Reminder: Square Payments for WooCommerce only works in “Live” mode. Be sure to toggle off “test mode” when creating the integration in Autoship Cloud to avoid confusion.
When you're done, toggle off "Test Mode" and select "CREATE".
You should now see a new payment integration in your Payment Integrations list ( WP-Admin > Autoship Cloud > Payment Integrations).
You are now ready to test Checkout and Scheduled Orders with Autoship Cloud.
How to Manually Add a Saved Payment Method to a Scheduled Order with Square
Need to manually add a payment to a Scheduled Order for a customer who has already saved a Credit Card in their account?
If a customer has already saved a credit card (via Square Payments) at checkout or by logging into your site (My Account > Payment Methods) the tokenized payment ID's will be saved to their User in Wordpress (WP-Admin > Users).
First, locate the saved payment method in Wordpress:
- As an administrator, visit WP-Admin > Users
- Edit the user for the customer that owns the saved payment method
- Locate the "Square Payment Tokens" section
- Note the "Token ID" and "Customer ID". You will be using these fields in the next steps.
Second, add the payment method to the Customer in Autoship Cloud:
- Visit WP-Admin > Autoship Cloud > Customers
- Search the name or email address to locate the Customer
- Select the option to "Edit"
- Locate the "Payment Methods" section and sleec the "ADD" action.
- For the "Payment Method Type" option, select "Square"
- Fill in fields with information copied from the Wordpress User's Square Payment Tokens (from the previous step):
- Gateway Customer ID => Square Payment Tokens: Customer ID
- Gateway Payment ID => Square Payment Tokens: Credit Card (Square) ID
- Payment Method Description => Card type, last four digits of card number of expiration copied from Payment Profile fields
- Example Description: Visa Ending in 4422 (Expires 11/24)
- Billing Address Fields => Copy these fields (First Name, Last Name, Billing Street 1, etc) directly from the Billing Address of the Wordpress User
- Select "Add" to save the payment method
- Confirm your change for this Customer by selecting "Update"
Last step, edit the Scheduled Order's Payment Method:
- Visit WP-Admin > Autoship Cloud > Scheduled Orders
- Search the name or email address to locate the Customer's Scheduled Order(s)
- Pro Tip: if the Scheduled Order recently failed to process a payment, it will have a status of "Failed"
- Select the option to "Edit" the Scheduled Order
- At the bottom section of the Scheduled Order, locate the "Payment Method" option and select the Payment Method you want to apply to the Scheduled Order
- Review the Scheduled Order:
- Make sure to set the Scheduled Order's Status to "Active" if you want it to process automatically on the Next Occurrence Date
- Confirm your changes for the Scheduled Order by selecting "Update"
If you need to process the Scheduled Order right away, you can set its status to "Paused" or "Failed" and use the action to Activate and Process immediately.