Required for this integration:
- Valid SSL installed for your site
- Customer Vaulting (for using saved cards)
- Direct Post API
- XL WooCommerce NMI Gateway plugin download here or install via WP-Admin > Plugins.
- Tokenization - This gateway tokenizes payment methods in a way that allows Autoship Cloud to create and pay for recurring orders automatically.
- Authorize Only - This type of transaction is not currently supported for Autoship Cloud. Please use Authorize and Capture to avoid issues with recurring billing.
Setting up NMI payments with WooCommerce
Once you have installed and activated the XL WooCommerce NMI Gateway Payments plugin, you will need to enter your NMI account credentials into the plugin settings before you can start using it. To do this, navigate (in your WP Admin) to Woocommerce > Settings > Checkout > XL WooCommerce NMI Gateway (either at the top of the page where all the plugins are listed as text, or at the bottom where the enabled/disabled gateways are displayed).
Once there, you will need to ensure that "Tokenization" is enabled.
After that, you will need to fill in the following two fields with your NMI Account credentials (obtained from your actual NMI account). Keep these handy for the next step as well:
Notes: The fields are labeled "Sandbox Gateway Username" and "Sandbox Gateway Password" because the plugin is set to use the "Sandbox Environment". You will need to supply the username and password from your NMI account that corresponds with the environment in which you will be using the gateway (we are starting in the Sandbox Environment to ensure that the plugin is working without creating actual charges).
Once these have been set, click "Save changes", and complete a checkout from your store to ensure that your WooCommerce checkout is working as expected.
Setting up NMI Payments with Autoship Cloud
Use the NMI Sandbox API Username and Password entered into WooCommerce above and follow the steps in outlined in our doc here to start testing quickly.
You are now ready to test Checkout and Scheduled Orders with Autoship Cloud.
Testing NMI Payments with Autoship Cloud
Before using a payment gateway in Live Mode, it is necessary to ensure that it works in Test Mode (sometimes referred to as Sandbox Mode).
What to know before testing NMI Payments:
- The NMI gateway does not have different endpoints for test and production. In order to use a test account, you will need to visit your merchant control panel (Settings > Test Mode > ‘Enable Test Mode’).
- "Test Mode" is not a setting for NMI Payments because enabling the testing environment is only controlled by the settings in the NMI Merchant Portal.
- By default, all gateway accounts have a duplicate threshold setting of 1200 seconds (20 minutes). This time period can be adjusted, overridden, or turned off completely. Customers will have to contact their merchant service provider to adjust this setting.
How To test NMI Payments:
1. Ensure your NMI Merchant Portal is set to "Test Mode"
2. Visit your store as a customer (make sure you are logged out as WP Admin)
2. Put an Autoship enabled item in your cart.
3. Complete a checkout using a credit card for NMI Payments as the payment method, using sandbox credit card info, and filling in the "Create Password" field (this should be required).
4. Verify that the order has successfully processed.
5. As the same customer, visit My Account > Autoship Schedules, and verify that you have a schedule created, and that the scheduled items and frequency are correct.
6. Log back into your site as WP Admin, navigate to Autoship Cloud > Scheduled Orders, and verify that the newly created schedule is present in your list of Scheduled Orders.
Once you have successfully completed an Autoship Cloud checkout and verified that a Scheduled Order was created and the payment method was saved, you are ready to enter Live Mode (in which actual charges will be created).
To do this you will need to:
1. Create and/or Login to your NMI Merchant Portal and ensure that 'Test Mode' is disabled (Settings > Test Mode > ‘Enable Test Mode’)
2. Navigate to WP Admin > Woocommerce > Settings > Checkout > XL WooCommerce NMI Gateway, change the setting for Environment from "Test" to "Production", and enter the username and password from your NMI account. Click "Save changes".